Advocating for rural in the legislative branch
NRHA advocates before Congress using rural health legislative policies developed by the association’s membership on behalf of all rural health stakeholders. NRHA also serves as the primary rural resource for elected officials, policy leaders, and other organizations on the unique challenges and opportunities facing rural patients and providers.
Tools for advocacy
Coordinated grassroots efforts by NRHA members and other rural health advocates are critical to ensuring rural and underserved populations have access to health care. These tools will help you advocate for rural health:
NRHA’s policy agenda is developed by soliciting input from membership. Policies adopted by the Rural Health Congress are included in the agenda, which is approved each year by the Government Affairs Committee. The agenda reflects the mission and priorities of the organization.
Letters to congressional leadership
- Response to Sen. Cassidy's Request for Information on CDC - October 20, 2023
- Response to Senate Budget Committee health care RFI - October 15, 2023
- Response to House Ways & Means rural health care RFI - October 5, 2023
- Letter to Senate HELP & Appropriations on 340B Extender - September 20, 2023
- Updated 2023 Farm Billl requests letter - September 14, 2023
- Response to Senate 340B request for information - July 28, 2023
- Letter to Senate Leadership on PAHPA Discussion Draft- July 10, 2023
- Response to Rep. Miller-Meek's Request for Information on CDC - April 21, 2023
- Response to Senate Request for Information on PAHPA - March 29, 2023
- 2023 Farm Bill requests letter - March 28, 2023
- Response to Senate Request for Information on the drivers of workforce shortages - March 20, 2023
- Response to House Request for Information on the Pandemics and All Hazards Preparedness Act (PAHPA) - March 13, 2023
- CDC Office of Rural Health sign on letter - June 27, 2022
- Rural Health Clinic stability letter - June 16, 2022
- Letter regarding the reconciliation process - June 8, 2022
- Joint letter to Senate Appropriations on RHC Behavioral Health Initiative - May 17, 2022
- CAH sustainability letter - May 4, 2022
- FY 2023 Appropriations for rural health programs - April 26, 2022
- COVID-19 Supplemental Funding Negotiations - April 4, 2022
- FY 2022 Appropriations for Rural Health Programs - Feb. 24, 2022
- Senate HELP Committee RFI on PREVENT Pandemics Act - Feb. 4, 2022
- Senate Finance Committee RFI on mental health - Nov. 15, 2021
- Congressional RFI on proposed oral health benefits under Medicare - Sept. 20, 2021
- Congressional RFI on a public health insurance option - July 28, 2021
- Fiscal year 2022 appropriations request letter - June 8, 2021
- Infrastructure request letter - April 15, 2021
- COVID-19 relief request letter - Jan. 22, 2021
Letters of support
- Bipartisan Primary Care and Health Workforce Act - September 19, 2023
- H.R.3730 Rural Health Clinic Burden Reduction Act - September 5, 2023
- Protecting Air Ambulance Services for Americans Act - July 5, 2023
- Improving Care and Access to Nurses (ICAN) Act - October 4, 2022
- Assistance for Rural Community Hospitals (ARCH) Act - September 1, 2022
- Rural Physician Workforce Production Act - July 25, 2022
- Improving Access to Workers’ Compensation for Injured Federal Workers Act (H.R. 6087) - August 22, 2022
- Letter of Support for Rural MOMS Program Funding - April 27, 2022
- Medicaid Dental Benefit Act - Dec. 29, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccination during pregnancy - Dec. 6, 2021
- Rural Physician Workforce Production Act of 2021 (S. 1893) - June 8, 2021
- Pharmacy and Medically Underserved Areas Enhancement Act (H.R. 2759 & S. 1362) - May 27, 2021
- Healthcare Workforce Resilience Act (H.R. 2255) - May 3, 2021
- Healthcare Workforce Resilience Act (S. 1024) - May 3, 2021
- Reviewing Urban and Rural Adjustments to Level Hospital Expenses and Lopsided Payments (RURAL HELP) Act (H.R. 1749) - April 14, 2021
- Save Rural Hospitals Act of 2021 (S. 999) - March 30, 2021
- Closing Loopholes for Orphan Drugs Act (H.R. 853) - Feb. 17, 2021
- Rural Maternal Obstetrics Management Strategies (Rural MOMS) Act (H.R. 769) - Feb. 11, 2021
Congressional caucuses and coalitions
- The Senate Rural Health Caucus and the House Rural Health Coalition are made up of rural health champions in Congress. Each has passed significant legislation to improve the lives of rural Americans. We urge members of Congress from rural districts and states to join these important groups.
- The House Ways and Means Committee Rural and Underserved Communities Health Task Force (Task Force) convenes Members and experts to discuss the delivery and financing of health care and related social determinants in urban and rural underserved areas and identify strategies to address the challenges that contribute to health inequities.
The House Rural Broadband Caucus and Senate Rural Broadband Caucus are bipartisan groups of lawmakers working to strengthen rural broadband infrastructure and promote broadband deployment to increase connectivity and close the digital divide.
The Senate Bipartisan Rural Working Group aims to identify successful ideas and partnerships to spur efforts to restore economic prosperity in rural communities across the country. The group also connects people and organizations with ties to rural communities who want to help address the many unique challenges that often hit rural areas hard.
The Congressional Western Caucus works to advance six basic objectives: economic growth, American energy security, local growth, private property rights, multiple-use, and agriculture and forestry.